Famous Footwear Credit Card: Run Away [Find Out Why Inside]
If you’re thinking about applying for the Famous Footwear credit card, take a moment to read our review first.
There are a lot of drawbacks to consider first!
Famous Footwear Credit Card executive summary
- You can stack this card and their loyalty program to get effectively get a 10-15% store credit.
- However, they make redeeming this credit difficult by only issuing it to you 5x per year, in increments of only up to $75, requiring redemption within 60 days, and capping the max total credit per 12 months at $250.
- We don’t think it’s worth the hassle unless you spend a few thousand per year at Famous Footwear and are willing to put up with the extra trouble beyond a simple 2% cash-back card to squeeze out a couple of hundred extra bucks.
Not recommended. While this card combined with the ‘Famously You’ program to achieve a 10% store credit, Famous Footwear makes using these rewards very hard. Since most people don’t buy enough shoes every year to make the hassle worth it, we can’t recommend this card.
Pros and Cons: Famous Footwear Credit Card
5% store credit at Famous Footwear
$10 off first purchase with card at account opening
No annual fee
Reputable credit card issuer – Comenity bank (now called Bread financial)
Very high APR – 29%
Rewards store credit only issued 5x per year and must be used within 60 days of being issued
Cannot be used at other stores
Low sign-up ‘bonus’ ($10 off first purchase)
- 5% store credit (called ‘Reward Cash’).
- Difficult to redeem, however, since ‘Reward Cash’ is only issued to members 5x per year, then must be redeemed within 60 days of being issued.
- ~29% APR – which is very high. Make sure you pay in full every month.
- No annual fee – $0 annual fee.
- Applications are subject to credit approval.
- While they will take into account your total application, we recommend a credit score of at least 620 to be likely for approval.
- Be 18 years old (or the age of majority in your state or territory).
- Have a government-issued photo ID and tax identification number (for example a social security number).
- Be willing to provide a non-PO Box mailing address.
- $10 off fist purchase.
Famous Footwear’s credit card offering, the ‘Famously YOU rewards credit card,’ promises to help customers make shopping at Famous Footwear easier and more rewarding. It’s another clothing store credit card, quite similar to other ones, like the Burlington Credit Card.
When you use the Famous Footwear card, you will earn rewards through the Famously You Rewards program.
The rewards you earn when you use the Famous Footwear credit card are in addition to the rewards you earn as a ‘Famously YOU Rewards’ member.
There is no annual fee to hold the card.
But there are a lot of downsides to the card as well, especially if you are not a frequent shopper at Famous Footwear. Notably, it is also not a good card if you want something you can use at other places and earn rewards or cash back, since this card will only be accepted at Famous Footwear.
The APR on the Famous Footwear credit card is also very high, so interest charges will build up rapidly if you cannot pay off your balance every month.
Pros and Cons of the Famous Footwear Credit Card
- Rewards on purchases: earn 5% store credit rewards: capped at $250 in rewards (that’s a $5K spend) per rolling 12-month period
- No annual fee
- Build credit: if you make on-time monthly payments of at least the minimum payment (we recommend you pay off in full)
- Rewards only redeemable at Famous Footwear
- Rewards are only issued 5x per year and must be redeemed within 60 days
- Very high APR
Benefits of the Famous Footwear Credit Card
Despite the downsides of the Famous Footwear credit card, there are some benefits that you get with the card.
Famous Footwear has a rewards program called the Famously You Rewards. With the program, you earn one point for every $1 you spend at Famous Footwear. When you earn 100 points, you get a $5 reward to use in the store.
But, when you have the credit card, you can double your rewards, and you will get another $5 for every $100 you spend using the card. If you spend at least $200 per year after enrolling in the program, you become a ‘Superstar,’ and earn even more points – 1.5 pts per dollar spent for Superstars.
You should note that you will only get the $10 reward per $100 spent if you use the credit card at Famous Footwear.
You also get an extra $10 off your first purchase using your Famous Footwear credit card, which is applied to your rewards account when you first sign up for the card.
You will also get a birthday reward every year with your card open. The birthday reward will be received during your birthday month, and you must provide your date of birth when you sign up for the card.
To receive your birthday reward, you must make at least one purchase using your credit card in the 12 months before your birthday. You will not receive a birthday reward if you have not used your credit card.
The current reward is $5 is reward cash.
Another benefit of the Famous Footwear credit card is that you get free shipping on all purchases made online. To get free shipping, you have to be logged into your Famous Footwear account when you make your purchase to get free shipping on your purchase.
Free shipping is only available for customers in the continental United States. You will not be able to ship your Famous Footwear purchases to Alaska, Hawaii, territories of the United States, or international addresses.
If you do not live in one of the lower 48 states, you will have to consider whether or not the card is worth it for you since you do not get this benefit.
Exclusive card holder offers
Finally, Famous Footwear credit card holders will get occasional bonus offers where you can save money when you shop with your card.
These offers are sporadic but are worth using when you get them if you need something from Famous Footwear since it is one of the ways to take advantage of being a credit card holder. Personally, we think it’s really just code for the fact that you will probably receive a lot more marketing materials once they have your contact information.
Focus on: how to redeem points
As mentioned, Famous Footwear makes it very difficult to redeem points. Here’s what you need to know:
- You earn 5% on up to $5K in purchases at Famous Footwear per rolling 12-month period. So that’s up to $250 in rewards.
- The rewards are called ‘Reward Cash.’
- Famous Footwear issues these rewards in increments of $5, five times per year (one time for each of their determined ‘seasons’), up to $75 per seasonal issuance.
- Each season, when you receive your reward, you have 60 days to redeem it.
- Their defined seasons are spring, summer, back to school, fall, and holiday.
- The ‘Reward Cash’ is added to your account during these 5 annual seasons. You actually redeem/use it one of three ways: 1) In-store: ask store associate 2) Online: ensure you’re signed into your account and apply rewards at checkout; and 3) In-app: ensure you’re signed into your account and apply rewards at checkout
Famous Footwear Credit Card login
Using the Famous Footwear credit card login, you can manage your credit card online. Here you can see the balance on your credit card and make payments.
If you are a new Famous Footwear card holder, you must create an account. You will need your credit card number, zip code, and social security number to register.
Or, if you forget your username or password to login into your account, you can get logged back in. You will need your account number or username, zip code, and social security number.
How to make your Famous Footwear Credit Card payment
Making your Famous Footwear credit card payment every month is easy. All you have to do is sign in to your account, where you can set up payment methods, manage your payment schedule, and pay your bill.
You should know that the interest rate for Famous Footwear credit cards is quite high, so you need to know how much you owe every month and try to pay the full amount on time. These sky-high interest rates are fairly typical for store credit cards, unfortunately.
It is important to at least make the minimum payment every month to avoid late fees. But, if you can pay more, you will save money by not having to pay any interest.
You will be charged interest if you do not pay the full balance on your Famous Footwear credit card. The interest on this credit card is high, making it so that you are paying much more for your Famous Footwear purchases than originally expected.
Where to use the Famous Footwear Credit Card
Using your credit card at the store or online is the only place where you can maximize your rewards using the credit card.
You can find your nearest Famous Footwear using the store finder, or you can shop online and take advantage of the free shipping you get as a credit card holder.
The connection with Comenity Bank
The Famous Footwear credit card is issued by Comenity Bank, which issues MasterCard credit cards. Comenity technically represents Comenity Bank or any of its affiliates, but Comenity bank is the subsidiary of Bread Financial, which has recently rebranded to Bread Savings. This is significant because they host well over 100 different Credit Card brands which have notoriously high-interest rates.
My recent experience at Famous Footwear
I was disappointed in my recent trip down to my local Famous Footwear.
While I understand that this is meant to be a discount store, even so, it was still a bit dirty, disorganized, and the customer service was not great.
It was tough to find any information about their credit card in-store and when I asked an associate they weren’t able to articulate much about the card, but they were willing to take my information if I wanted to sign up.
Don’t think I’ll be heading back anytime soon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How can I reach customer service for this card?
- You can call customer service at: 1-800-433-0091 (TDD/TTY 1-888-819-1918)
By Mail: Comenity Capital Bank, PO Box 183003, Columbus, OH 43218-3003
*When writing, include your name, address, phone number and Account number.
Where do I login to my Famous Footwear credit card account?
Login to your Famous Footwear Credit Card here.
Where do I make my Famous Footwear credit card payment?
At Personal Finance Guru, we want to help you maximize your lifestyle through personal finance. You can trust the integrity of our independent financial advice. Our opinions are our own and have not been provided, reviewed, approved, or endorsed by any advertiser or financial product provider. To support and grow the site, however, we may receive compensation from the issuers of some products.
Meet the author:
John has always been fascinated by money, wealth, and investing. He got a front row seat into how Ultra High Net Worth individuals, families, and entities manage their money while working for years in Goldman Sachs’ Private Bank.
He learned a great deal about personal finance and wealth management from some of the most experienced professionals in the industry.
Now he enjoys helping all kinds of people grow their wealth and achieve their financial goals.
When he’s not advising clients, Cody enjoys playing golf and spending time with family and friends.